We hope you’ve been finding our waste reducing posts to be helpful and doable. The statistics found are from a few different websites in order to give you a perspective on how important it is that you cut plastic from your life and influence those around you to do the same.
- 100,000 marine creatures a year die from plastic entanglement and these are the ones found.
- Some 18 billion pounds of plastic waste flows into the oceans every year from coastal regions.
- Scientists have recently discovered microplastics embedded deep in the Arctic ice.
40 percent of plastic produced is packaging, used just once and then discarded.
- It can take anything between 20-1000 years for a plastic bag to break up. I mean break up as they break up into smaller pieces. They don’t break down and those that do, break down into polymers and toxic chemicals.
- Plastics consistently make up 60 to 90% of all marine debris studied.
Plastic recycling rates are highest in Europe at 30 percent. China’s rate is 25 percent. The United States recycles just 9 percent of its plastic trash.
Scientists have identified 200 areas declared as ‘dead zones’ where no life organisms can now grow.
- Every day approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans.
- There are believed to be 46,000 pieces of plastic in every square mile of ocean.
As consumers and residents of this planet it is our duty to right our wrong and reverse the mess we’ve made. If you are eager to help please check out the websites listed above and read our previous posts on ways you can reduce waste.
If you have any real estate questions, please give us a call. Whether buying, selling, or just curious to learn more, we are here to assist you in any way possible. We look forward to hearing from you.
RE/MAX Properties Inc.
2630 Tenderfoot Hill Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Learn more about Colorado Springs Real Estate and search all available homes for sale at http://www.movetosprings.com
Latest Blog Posts
Colorado Springs Real Estate Video Market Updates!